Facebook Twitter
FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in
How to Produce Breakcore

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Breakcore.NL Music Forum Index -> General discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skeater

PostPosted: 2008-11-25 07:52    Post subject: How to Produce Breakcore Reply with quote

I am really starting to get into breakcore and was wondering to best way to get started. Thanks to all for any feedback.
captain wardrobe

PostPosted: 2008-12-03 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say that

1. trawl for mad funny odd evil samples
youtube downloader allows you to download files in
flash video format then convert it to mp3 format
great for sampling odd tv/science/commercials/horror

also there are several online resources for odd samples

freesound.org
archive.org

2.find a program you love making music on
i use ableton 7 and fruityloops 8
but dont be afraid to make some elements on
one program then switch to another...
mix it up

different progs lead you in different directions

effects; vsts are usefull for chops and mash up
but also try useing 'acid'...[wave editing] yourself
[its a good discipline]
in the master mix...cut & paste and repeat Smile

4.if a song ends up sounding wrong...or you get bored with it
leave it for a week...start a new tune[s] then return to it..if you still hate it
break it down...try retempo-ing it...try messing with the elements
...make the bass a melody...and the synths a bass etc...
or just make a loop then can be used in another tune

everything is a new starting point
Razz

3. play and enjoy yourself
innovate to comminicate

good luck to you!

Razz
skeater

PostPosted: 2008-12-06 02:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the all of the good advice i will experiment with some of the stuff you reccomended
charlylinch

PostPosted: 2008-12-06 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's simple..

Just open fruityloops and randomly click some buttons.
add a lot of distortion on the master.
And as final touch: put the vst dblue glitch the master.
be sure that the whole mp3 is clipped during the whole song!

next step:

make a myspace and find an artist name.
something that looks like another artist always works well in the "Breakcore scene".
so choose a name like: Duran duran duran, judith priest, cunt eastwood, donna plumber or tina tuner.

Last step:

Make a netrelease every week! and post it on every forum you can find.
It always looks nice if you promote your 395 internet releases with your first post on a forum!
Add enormous ammounts of friends on myspace, facebook, virb and youtube.
Post every friend every 2 days with a new video and some new tracks!

Make sure your internet promotion is very aggressive and close to anoying.

This makes you the perfect breakcore artist!

Good luck!

Very Happy
jensrobot

PostPosted: 2008-12-06 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol @ charlie... the scary thing is that your are 95% right Smile

dblue's glitch is raped by almost every "amateur" breakcore artists. Make sure you mask your use of the glitch vst, as it can be a real turnoff.
captain wardrobe

PostPosted: 2008-12-06 16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

what charly says is true
its easy to make break[core]-esque music

but breakcore is like anything else...
open to interpretation

it appears to be both
home to musical snobs
[braindance/IDM]
and anarchic destroyers of musical norms
[shitcore]

question:
can you only make 'proper' punk music with 6 strings on your guitar?

Laughing
charlylinch

PostPosted: 2008-12-07 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

jensrobot wrote:
lol @ charlie... the scary thing is that your are 95% right Smile

dblue's glitch is raped by almost every "amateur" breakcore artists. Make sure you mask your use of the glitch vst, as it can be a real turnoff.

and avoid the bitcrusher!!
captain wardrobe

PostPosted: 2008-12-07 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

another one is effectrix

fuckin takes all the joy out of life
Poelvoorde

PostPosted: 2008-12-09 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

what the fuck is breakcore ?
brutallo

PostPosted: 2008-12-09 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

> what the fuck is breakcore ?

http://slsk.ardkor.com/room-breakcore.html
I hope, it will help you =))
Poelvoorde

PostPosted: 2008-12-10 00:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know it

bobardkor is my friend
charlylinch

PostPosted: 2008-12-10 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain wardrobe wrote:
another one is effectrix

fuckin takes all the joy out of life

That's one I often use Razz

Because it's a vst that works on mac and has a good strech function Razz
.. I actually only use the strech Very Happy
general-chubby

PostPosted: 2008-12-14 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

take an populiar 80's love song......

take an axe.........

smash the 80's love with the axe till there is nothing left... except for the hi-hat... bass... kick... ghost snares....and the snare....

and then start yopu riddim!!!

Cool Cool Tha Youths Stylo Cool Cool
GJP

PostPosted: 2009-05-19 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello fellow inmates, I'm wouter from Holland..
And I wanted to share my vision on breakcore with you, this seemd like the right topic.
I've been a musician for all my life, I've played drums since I was for and have been open to almost any music.
I started to produce music a few years ago and didn't know what style it was, till I send it to a friend, he told me it whould be categorized in breakcore.
So here it is:
My philosophy on breakcore

Forword
This tutorial is not about, how to mix your breakcore, not on how to stack effects, neither is about what program you should use, or I think is best. This tutorial is on how It works in your mind, or in this case, my mind when I make a breakcore song.

Samples
Ok this part is about how you can get a hold of good samples which will fit in your music.

First of the drums
The samples I use are a mix of samples from library's, breaks, and just music from the radio.
To get samples it's easy to have a program which allows you to cut samples out music.
You'll have to expiriment with this a bit, and sometimes some effects need to be used to make the sample sound full.
Also something that works good for me, when you're having a hard time getting your hands on some good ghost snares, try and put up a mic and just tab your fingers on objects. This also counts for effect sounds.
Also try to think out of the box, this is what breakcore is about.
Use anything you can think of and sample it to use in your drum tracks, don't be lazy!
If you want some groundbreaking stuff you've got to work hard!
Some examples, I've used a breaking glass bottle as a snare drum ones, my keys as hihats and my fist smashing on a table for a kickdrum.
The good thing is, there are so many objects in the world, this sampling technique will never grow old.

What I do with the samples, when I start of with a song, I get some CD's from different genre's. jazz, hardrock, that kind of stuff.
I just scroll trough the song, when I hear a sound which I like, I load it in my program and I cut it out.
Just basic stuff.

Vocals
Vocals are tough, the best way is to just get some random movies.
Don't look for a particular sample , almost every movie has samples you can use.
So just go to your local store and buy some cheap ass movies, or download them, whatever you want.
Look for some funny quotes and save them.
Some songs only need one sample which is powerfull enough for the whole song, some songs need a whole load of samples.
Good genres to look in are very old splatter zombie films, sci-fi and movies about drugs and that kind of stuff.
Also some action movies are good, or just random freaky films.
Don't be afraid to make samples yourself, like screams of agony, or fear.
Also when a friend of yours something.. really funny, write it down, and let him say it again, in front of your microphone.
Also, you could go to church once in a while and sample some of the preaching, it sounds pretty cool sometimes.
But that part could be pretty difficult, being in church is pretty boring, to me atleast, but hey, you've got to suffer a bit to put real emotion in your music right?
What also works well sometimes is to just put on the News, or random commercials and record them sometimes there's some pretty funny or even good stuff in their.
Don't search the internet for pre cut samples, you should realize these samples have already been used for atleast a 100 times, you don't want people to think, hey that sample is in that song too, that's kind of a ripoff..
If you have a good singer but you have trouble gettings good lyrics, just use lyrics from other songs, people can coop with things they know.

Fx:
To get some more life in your music you should have a lot effect sounds,
Same as for the drums, sample anything around you, a car starting, a woman in high heels walking trough a large hall,
a chair scraping over the floor.. anything can really be used, you can even Re-use samples if you put some effects and stuff over them.
You can also use your own mouth for some great effects.

The Discipline.
When you are in the process of making a nice tune, and it sounds OK, it's ok.
But do you want OK songs?
You want perfect songs.
You shouldn't push it too far, like spending 5 months on a song which only takes 10 seconds, if this happens, you are being to perfectionistic.
But of course a little perfectionism is good for us all.
When you make a song, don't be lazy, when something doesn't sound right, don't put it in, and don't be afraid to delete it, from the song.
Although when it has a current feeling to it, you should keep it, maybe it's good stuff for another song right?
When you come at the point your composition is perfect, and the mix isn't, work hard to get the mix as you want it to sound,.
People want your soungs to be able to be listened to at any volume.
Also when working on a song, and it doesn't work out, don't be dicouraged, just save what you have and wait for that magic moment that your thoughts tell you; 'OH I have to but this and that there and put this effect over that sample'
If this moment doesn't come just start on something new.

The Network:
Try to expand your network not only by people you don't really know on myspace, try to find active and interesting musicians in your area.
Maybe you can cooperate with them?
Singers, drummers, pianists, guitarists, anything is possible.
Also don't be afraid to step to proffesionals with your music, just to ask them some tips on the mixing, or composition.
Another thing, when you've made something you're not completely satisfied with, DON'T realease it in anyway, the first impression is the one people will keep, when they hear something and it sounds like crap, there most likele;y to look your music up again.

The composition.
How I do it?
I make patterns in fruity loops. Plain from effects.
My drums go trough a tape recorder, for that old vintage sound that I am looking for, my synths and basses go trough an analog delay put to 1 for a phat sound.
When this all is done, I put them together in cool edit pro, and then I process them, mix them and master them to finally export them.
This is just one of the million ways you can make your songs.
First off, use a program that works for you, don't use a program because, 'Everyone uses it'
don't use a program because, someone tells you you should.
And especially, don't use a program because your favorite musician uses it.
Use a program that fits with you, and second, it's not wrong to use multiple programs, this happens a lot in the industry too.
Don't be afraid to try new things, and be creative, also make sure the place where you are making your music comforts you, for instance I wouldn't like making the music I make in my parrents living room, you catch my drift?

Keep in mind you can use anything and use it in anyway to make your music. Don't be a clone of some respected musician, do your OWN thing.
Also, everytime you make a song, it's not aquired to do it the same way everytime.
As I put above:
I quote: 'My drums go trough a tape recorder, for that old vintage sound that I am looking for, my synths and basses go trough an analog delay put to 1 for a phat sound'
Of course I don't do this to every single song, I do this to some of the songs I make when the sound I have doesn't satisfy me, and even then I don't always do that.

Some general tips/FAQ
I have problem making my drums sound 'breakcoreish'
First of all, take the time to write your drums and be patient, don't expect to be able to make the nastyest breaks in the time of a day.
A second tip, turn the BPM down a bit, make your drums sound funky, and if you have enough patterns speed them up, and you'll notice they'll sound a lot more breakcorish then you expected.

Making cool leads, basses etc.:
You can use plugins, keyboards, but also parial melodies from other songs,
from only one sound, you could make a whole melody, by just pitchbending it now and then, and putting it down rhytmically.

Bringing structure in your songs.
Ok, so you made a song, the loose patterns sound brutal as hell, but when you put them together it sounds like random noise.
To me, the drums need little structure, I use the lead and the bass to bring the structure in my songs, for everyone it's personal, just find this one part in your music which you can listen to more then 3 seconds straight and bring it back in your soungs.
Also try to call back to the old rules of making music, try and make a verse, a bridge, intro, outro, breakdown and that kind of stuff, and put those in whole parts together to make your song more structured.

Also a good tip:
When you want to improve your skills in a curtain instrument, try to look in to that instrument, do some research and make sure you understand the instrument so you can make it sound that little bit more musical.

But always keep in mind, music has no official rules, you set your own rules and you make your own music, feedback is usefull but when you don't want to do something, don't do it.
Only do things you support 100% yourself.

Any questions?
Just ask.
I might have a good awnser for you.
Michael.T.Roper

PostPosted: 2009-08-19 06:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlylinch wrote:
It's simple..

Just open fruityloops and randomly click some buttons.
add a lot of distortion on the master.
And as final touch: put the vst dblue glitch the master.
be sure that the whole mp3 is clipped during the whole song!

next step:

make a myspace and find an artist name.
something that looks like another artist always works well in the "Breakcore scene".
so choose a name like: Duran duran duran, judith priest, cunt eastwood, donna plumber or tina tuner.

Last step:

Make a netrelease every week! and post it on every forum you can find.
It always looks nice if you promote your 395 internet releases with your first post on a forum!
Add enormous ammounts of friends on myspace, facebook, virb and youtube.
Post every friend every 2 days with a new video and some new tracks!

Make sure your internet promotion is very aggressive and close to anoying.

This makes you the perfect breakcore artist!

Good luck!

Very Happy

Remember also to add to this your claim to many mental illnesses inlcuding especially 'a.d.d'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Breakcore.NL Music Forum Index -> General discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: